Activity 2: Realisation of pilot deployment
This activity addresses the first specific objective by creating an appropriate on-demand LNG liquefaction facility for transport, setting up the first LNG and L2CNG fuelling infrastructure network together with a fleet of LNG vehicles. It also contributes to the second specific objective as it provides data for the study (Activity 1).
The pilot deployment consists of:
• Small-scale pilot liquefaction plant of production capacity of approximately 1 ton/h and operational power consumption max 1.1 kWh/kg serving for production of LNG.
• Multipurpose distribution equipment for optimal just-in-time LNG distribution and to provide with CNG to places with no or limited access to the gas pipeline (3 semi-trailers of capacity approximately 50 m3).
• 3 LNG stations at locations along CNC accessible from all directions. LNG stations with storage capacity up to 83 m3 net volume of LNG will allow dispensing of LNG (LNG pump, saturation system, LNG dispenser) and dispensing of CNG (LNG pump, approximately 300-450 Nm3/h vaporizer, odorizer, min 2000l CNG buffer storage and CNG dispenser – NGV1 and NGV2 nozzles).
• 14 L2CNG stations at rest stops on Slovak parts of the three CNCs: 4-6 stations on the Rhine-Danube corridor, 2-3 stations on the Orient/East-med corridor and 5-7 stations on the Baltic-Adriatic corridor. L2CNG stations with storage capacity up to 25 m3 net volume of LNG will allow CNG dispensing (LNG pump, approximately 300-450 Nm3/h , vaporizer, odorizer, minimum 2000 l CNG buffer storage and CNG dispenser – NGV1 and NGV2 nozzles). Final decision on the placement of the stations is subject to the location study.
• Pilot fleet of 50 LNG heavy duty vehicles. Costs of these vehicles are not eligible under this Action. Several measures are being considered by the beneficiary to ensure the development of the pilot fleet.
The exact technical parameters of the liquefaction plant and LNG/L2CNG stations and distribution semi-trailers are subject to the outcomes of the preparatory study (Sub-activity A1.1).
This Activity involves the following sub-activities:
2.1 Procurement of all suppliers necessary for realisation of the pilot deployment
2.2 Production of LNG liquefaction plant/LNG and L2CNG station parts at suppliers site – manufacturing and assembling of liquefaction plant / LNG and L2CNG stations components, based of delivered and approved design;
2.3 LNG liquefaction plant / LNG and L2CNG station design supplied by appointed contractor who will provide design studies, zoning plan documents, documents required for zoning permission, documents required for construction permission and documents required for construction realisation; of the projects for zoning and building permits including permitting procedure
2.4 Project engineering activities that will include development and gathering of all documents required to obtain zoning permission (overall situation map, traffic map adjacent to proposed construction site, power supply design, connection to road network, fire protection, technical report, etc.) and construction permission (developed project design, technical summary of construction, overall construction outline, construction drawings, static review of construction, project visualisation, etc.)
2.5 Civil works at selected locations
2.6 Construction of LNG technology at selected locations – construction of LNG liquefaction plant / LNG and L2CNG stations
2.7 Implementation of information, reporting and billing system involving i) integration with existing information system used by the beneficiary, ii) design of reporting system, iii) set up, implementation and integration of billing system allowing payments collection from LNG and L2CNG stations;
2.8 Trial operation of LNG liquefaction plant / LNG and L2CNG stations focused on testing and troubleshooting the technology before operation launch
2.9 Final inspection of LNG liquefaction plant / LNG and L2CNG stations before pilot operation that will result (if all requirements are met) in obtaining of approval decision – permission to use the LNG liquefaction plant / LNG and L2CNG stations.
2.10 Pilot operation, that includes tasks focused on utilization of deployed pilot infrastructure:
• Preparation works prior to pilot operation launch (land lease at selected locations)
• Training of operators of LNG liquefaction plant / LNG and L2CNG stations and semitrailers
• Training of pilot fleet truck drivers
• Monitoring, analysis and evaluation of operational parameters of LNG production and the whole distribution chain within the pilot operation
• Monitoring, analysis and evaluation of feedback from pilot fleet users
• Comparative data collection of substances emitted into the atmosphere by real time measuring on technically comparable pair of vehicles (LNG, Diesel)
The construction supplier is planned to be procured in compliance with public procurement with the aim to either where possible sign an Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) turnkey agreement, when the selected contractor is responsible for delivery of all components of construction process; or to sign separate contracts for the engineering, technology and construction. The construction process will be supervised by a construction supervisor.
Data collected will be made available as much as possible in open access unless it is demonstrated by the beneficiaries that it is of confidential nature based on commercial sensitivity or other issues including privacy protection and IP rights.
The semi-trailers shall remain for at least 5 years registered and is operated in a Member State.
This activity will result in the following deliverables:
D2.1: 1 LNG liquefaction plant ready for operation (including all relevant documents approving operation ability)
D2.2: 3 LNG and 14 L2CNG stations ready for operation (including all relevant documents approving operation ability)
D2.3: 3 semi-trailers
D2.4: Pilot operation